Jordan Technologies has experience manufacturing and servicing all types of vapor combustion units (VCUs) including units for special applications such as marine vapor control or non-motor fuel vapor control. Jordan’s VCUs are guaranteed to meet all safety regulations and currently mandated emissions limits. Custom vapor combustion devices are also available.
Vapor combustors are designed to safely burn vapor mixtures consisting of hydrocarbons. This mixture may, or may not, be within the flammable range of the vapors being destroyed. Vapor combustors can be configured as an open type, where the flame is elevated and visible; or as an enclosed type, where the flame is generally near grade level and enclosed in an insulated combustion chamber or stack.
The equipment provided for both systems is similar. The major equipment items included in a combustor system are the stack, anti-flash back burners with an ignition system, assists air blowers for smokeless burning, velocity control or staging valve(s) and deflagration arrestor(s).
The vapor mixture flows into the vapor collection system at the loading facility and through the vapor header that connects the loading facility with the VCU. The vapor mixture then flows through an in-line detonation arrestor that is equipped with a temperature switch on one face of the detonation arrestor element.
As the vapor mixture flow continues, the pressure will increase in the vapor piping. This increase in pressure is sensed by pressure controls located at the VCU. When the pressure reaches a predetermined level, the vapor-staging valve will open automatically allowing the vapor mixture to flow to the burner elements where the combustible vapors are ignited by the pilot and burned. The assist-air blower is provided to furnish some of the air required for combustion and to provide mixing of combustion air with the vapor mixture. This ensures that the combustion remains smokeless.
The temperature management system, if selected, controls the temperature within the combustion stack by controlling the amount of air that flows into the combustion zone, while also controlling the amount of supplemental fuel gas that is injected into the combustion zone. The temperature is managed automatically during operation by controlling the position of the adjustable air dampers and the assist gas flow. Finally, when the transfer operation is completed, the VCU will automatically turn off the assist air blower and pilot, and then await an automatic re-start when more loading is about to begin.
The standard Jordan Technologies vapor combustion unit (VCU) is an enclosed combustion system and incorporates the following features:
- Ceramic fiber refractory lined combustion chamber
- Smokeless burner(s) specially designed to reduce the possibility of a flashback
- PLC based control system with an automatic ignition system and safety monitoring
- Automatic actuated vapor staging valve(s)
- Combustion air blower for the anti flashback burners
- Detonation arrestor with high temperature monitor in the main vapor piping
- NEMA 4 control panel with all necessary instrumentation and controls for automatic and low maintenance operation
- Advanced temperature control technology to reduce assist gas usage
- Advanced pilot technology that reduces pilot fuel consumption up to 75% over competitor models
- Easy to use touch panel operator interface
- The standard Jordan Technologies VCU is a pre-packaged unit requiring only minor field assembly for easy installation and cost savings to our customers.